How do I arrange my utility bills for my professional property?

It is important to remember that you are responsible for payment of all bills from the start date, up until the agreed end date of your tenancy.

Initially you will need to establish who already supplies the energy to the property. If you are uncertain, there are various companies that can assist. Please call us on 0113 274 6642 for further assistance if needed. You can continue to set up the utility accounts in your name with the same supplier, or alternatively you could contact a comparison site to find out the best tariff/ deal.

This can work for broadband/ internet providers in the area also. You will also need to contact Yorkshire Water and the local Council for your area (either Leeds City Council or Calderdale Council) to inform them of your tenancy starting.