What is a HMO license?

A HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) Licence is required if the property is rented to five or more unrelated people who form more than one household. Tenants share amenities and facilities within the property such as kitchens, bathrooms and all communal areas.

This mainly applies to larger student properties, however, even if your property is smaller and rented to fewer people, a licence may still be required.