If you’re living in Headingley and working or studying in Leeds city centre, the chances are you’ll be taking advantage of the incredibly simple and quick public transport options — either the bus or the train. However, thanks to the proximity of Leeds city centre, you could also complete your daily commute on foot or by bike instead.
If you prefer to keep your commute and your exercise strictly separate, then Headingley has plenty of options for you to keep fit outside of work and uni — from parks to gyms, swimming pools, sports clubs, and exercise classes. There’s something for everyone, so take a look today and get started on or continue your fitness journey.
Parks in and around Headingley
If you enjoy walking, jogging and/or running, the following places in and around Headingley may very well be of interest to you:
- Beckett Park, Batcliffe Drive/St. Chad’s Drive
- The Hollies, Weetwood Lane
- West Park Fields, Northolme Avenue & Crescent
- Meanwood Valley Nature Reserve
- Meanwood Park, Hollin Drive/Green Road
- Woodhouse Moor, Woodhouse Lane
- Woodhouse Ridge, Wood Lane
Gyms in and around Headingley
If your favourite type of exercise is working out with gym equipment, then you’re truly spoilt for choice living in Headingley. In Headingley itself there is the Village Hotel gym, and nearby there’s also The Crunch Gym in Meanwood, David Lloyd in Moortown, and Virgin Active at Cardigan Fields on Kirkstall Road. Wanting a cheaper alternative? There’s a PureGym at Kirkstall Bridge (open 24 hours), and Kirkstall Leisure Centre further along the road which is council run and features a 25m swimming pool.
Many gyms offer a swimming pool and workout classes alongside the standard gym equipment, and some also offer courts to book for sports such as tennis, badminton, netball and table tennis.
Exercise classes in and around Headingley
If you’re a yogi, into Pilates, or looking for martial arts instruction, then Headingley won’t let you down — there’s a wide range of classes available for everyone, from nervous beginners to seasoned devotees. More general classes can be found at the local gyms, but check out the below options for more specific classes.
- We Are Wellness, North Hill Road, Hyde Park
- Headingley Pilates, 1 Shire Oak Street
- So Pilates, St. Michael’s Lane
- Lishi Leeds Tai Chi, (Meditation and Kung Fu), Hyde Park Terrace
Sports clubs in & around Headingley
Fancy joining a local sports club, learning new skills, developing your current skills, and representing your local community? You’re in luck if so as there are plenty of sports clubs and teams to choose from in the Headingley area — we’ve listed some ideas below, and new clubs are popping up all the time.
- Headingley Association Football Club, Weetwood Playing Fields
- Headingley Golf Club, Back Church Lane, Adel
- Headingley Bramhope Cricket Club
- Leeds and Bradford Triathlon Club, Various locations
- The New Headingley Club,(Snooker, Pool & Darts), 56 St Michael’s Road
- St Chad’s Broomfield Cricket Club, Otley Road
- St Chad’s Tennis Club, Otley Road
So, as you can see, there’s really no excuse to be lazy if you’re living in Headingley! If you choose to live on our award-winning Spinning Acres development in Far Headingley, you’ll benefit from the community activities we provide, too.